Question:
what makes the boston dialect so interesting?
2006-04-05 10:28:52 UTC
what makes the boston dialect so interesting?
Ten answers:
waterwidget
2006-04-05 10:30:39 UTC
To who?
drshorty
2006-04-05 11:01:46 UTC
Actually, there are a number of dialects spoken in Boston, each of which is distinct. As I recall, these dialects often cut along the lines of geographical area and social class. That means that, in Boston, if you hear someone speaking, you can tell what part of town they come from and how much money they have, all in the same city. If you want to hear examples, look for the video "American Tongues" (it's available in some libraries, I imagine).
2006-04-05 11:14:11 UTC
I wouldn't call it a "dialect". Dialects are technically something very different. What you mean is "Boston variant", or "Boston accent".

Anyway, I find the London variant or accent much more interesting.
Rappel_Welch
2006-04-05 10:34:12 UTC
Because we practically redefine the language. We lose letters (most specifically r's), then we drop them at the end of words for no apparent reason. For example: I pahked my cah at the stoh and went in to buy a bananar because I thought it was a good idear". My husband and son do not think that my accent is interesting at all, because they only hear it when I am truly ticked off.
TruthSeeker2006
2006-04-05 11:00:48 UTC
because when you heah a true Bostonian speak, you can't help wondahing how da chowdah gowt lowdged in dere eah
a kinder, gentler me
2006-04-05 10:30:16 UTC
Er, ahh, that's a wicket cool question!
Graft