Question:
Spanish Pronounciation confusion!?!?
Kai
2006-04-01 11:22:29 UTC
ok, when i listen to a lot of spanish bands they pronounce their "LL" sound like an english "J" when singing. However, when talking in interviews or something they will pronounce it as an english "Y". Whats up? why do they pronounce it one way when singing and another when not? do people switch pronounciations often? (most of the bands are from mexico, none from spain) thanks!
Six answers:
guru
2006-04-01 11:30:47 UTC
Different spanish countries have different pronounciations of this letter. Either way is correct. Mexicans and Colombians pronounce it like an english J, the rest of us pronuonce it like an english y and the Argentinians pronounce it like and english "sh". It all depends on where you come from, how here in the states we have different accents and dialects depending on whether you're from the south or the east or the northeast or the west.
doctorkersey
2006-04-01 12:16:03 UTC
The difference is like asking a person that stutters or an englishman whey he sounds different when he is she sings. Singing is different than talking.

If you are confused then go to school and learn proper spanish then go and take some music vocal classes.
drshorty
2006-04-01 23:00:50 UTC
Actually, the sounds are neither like a "j" or a "y", but I know what you mean.

This particular sound is quite variable across the dialects of Spanish and also in different contexts. In Mexico, for example, the "y" version is more conversational, so you'll hear it in casual contexts. In formal contexts (or perhaps poetic ones, like music) you can hear the "j" version.
2006-04-01 11:24:56 UTC
Personally, I have never heard it pronounced as a "j" but always as a "y"
sahifaha
2006-04-01 11:34:51 UTC
some people say it like a j bacause of their accent, like ppl from puerto rica. most ppl pronounce it like a y tho.
2016-10-15 09:22:26 UTC
puedo- skill i will. duermo- skill i sleep. its even as spoken contained in the possessive from. (i'm assuming. i communicate portuguese and characteristic a difficult expertise of spanish.) wish it facilitates. :)