Question:
How to pronounce "Langham" and "Des Voeux" ?
Muscular Homo
2006-04-08 08:11:57 UTC
In addition, how would you pronounce words you have never seen before, probably proper nouns? Is there any standard on how a word should be pronounced to follow?
Six answers:
Ian
2006-04-08 08:26:22 UTC
"Des voeux" is French for Wishes - say "day vur" (but don't pronounce the 'R')

"Langem" is my guess for the other one - but it looks English and this is my north England accent so probably best not to trust that one.
jarod
2016-12-11 23:21:09 UTC
Voeux In French
pink_willis
2006-04-08 08:14:42 UTC
what language is it?

if french : almost like "long-ham" but try it a bit of an accent and pronounce the g.

and then "day - vo"
RDV
2014-04-22 13:34:56 UTC
If you are referring to the surname 'Des Voeux', the correct pronunciation is 'De Vo'. The pronunciation was anglicised when the family came the the UK in the 1700s.
nana
2006-04-08 08:16:04 UTC
the secong one is that french for homework....

de vaw
$hعvдηŤї_$hїrїη
2006-04-08 08:14:28 UTC
i'll try it first :))