Question:
Why is it that there are more derogatory or offensive terms for women than men in the English language?
escapeartist
2006-03-29 23:42:45 UTC
English is a very sexist language in my opinion (not meant to be a racial issue).
Seven answers:
2006-03-30 08:03:53 UTC
I agree with you. But I think the same applies to many other languages. Besides, notice that women are often offended by reference to their (excesive or "promiscuous") sexual activity, or else by reference to their intelligence.

There are no such words especially aimed at men. On the other hand, there are special words to refer derogatorily to a man, if he is homosexual, cowardly or not a "winner" with women.

My answer to your question is: because languages reflect how people think and feel. If people are sexist, then our languages will be so, too.
Jay
2006-03-29 23:45:00 UTC
Because women are not very active in offending men. I like to think that women took the high road in history as the english language stands to testify that women insulted men less. It's really a complement that women have found ways of carrying civil conversations to resolve matters rather than relying on crude language.
ridethestar
2006-03-29 23:50:36 UTC
Well, woman were not allowed to speak these things in public in the past. Hence, less dictionary words I guess.

Besides, woman can get there message across by saying a man's name in a certain tone or with a certain look.

And men are forgetful. Don't know name - make new word - me smart.
Ashleigh
2006-03-29 23:52:46 UTC
Because males used to be higher ranking than males in society, so whatever males did was acceptable, however if women did the same thing they were called a number of names to degrade them in the public eye, like in the Scarlet Letter.
2006-03-29 23:43:52 UTC
Women can be very offensive and derogatory. Men, also, are not as easily offended or degraded.
kpi
2006-03-29 23:53:07 UTC
SEE BACK IN THE ENGLISH DAYS,WOMEN WERE SEEN AS MERE OBJECTS,WITH NO BIG VALUE.

THAT TREND CAME INTO THE 21st centuary.

sorry about that.
2006-03-29 23:46:48 UTC
Well, try to learn Slovak. We have those terms equal.